What do singles do on Valentine’s Day? Very good question. We have been inquiring and we have discovered that there are many ways to spend the 14th of February when you don’t have love commitments. There are those who lock themselves at home so that they can’t see couples walking their happiness around, others go out to reaffirm their conviction that they live better alone, others take advantage to stay with their other single friends and there are those who think it is a good day to have a first date.
If you are single and the option that convinced you the most is the last one, continue reading this post, because there are 7 tips to help you know what to do in any situation of a first date:
- First: always greet with two kisses. Do not let prudence take you to lengthen your arm, because a handshake is the worst start for any date.
- The most important thing in a first date is to avoid the awkward silences. That’s why it’s better to leave the house with prepared conversation topics: a nice anecdote in the restaurant where you are having dinner, some funny comment about the waiter, questions – never too personal – that show some interest or a selection of three or four short stories about your life.
- An important clarification: it is not necessary that all the anecdotes you tell are strictly adhering to reality. In a first date, hyperbole for comic or dramatic ends is socially accepted.
- PROHIBITED topics: religion, politics and football.
- Never propose to share dishes. You don’t know the tastes of the other person and, if they are different from yours, you will spend time trying to find something that you both like – that’s in case you find it. It’s better that each one has its own food and focus the conversation in topics which you may share.
- If you have the date in the restaurant of Crowne Plaza Barcelona, you can count on our waiters to accelerate the moment of the desserts and the bill in case something goes wrong.
- And last, but not least, do not improvise the farewell. Excuse a moment and reflect for two minutes in front of the mirror if you want a second appointment or not. And whatever decision you take, be direct: it’s the only way to avoid the dangerous «we’ll see each other …» that ends with everyone waiting for the other to call and nobody ever calls.
But above all, if you want a first date to go well, dare to believe in love again! With the right attitude and our advice, your Valentine’s date will be exactly as you had dreamed it.